Wednesday 20 January 2010

Finca las Rejas - Bargain Tempranillo

On Friday last week some Laithwaites staff held some kind of an event at the place my brother works. When it had finished there was quite a lot of wine left which they very kindly donated to the staff. It had all been opened but some of the bottles were nearly full. My brother passed a virtually full bottle of this Finca las Rejas onto me. I nearly turned him down because I wasn't sure about carrying an opened bottle of wine home.

I only got round to drinking it yesterday because we were away for the weekend so it's not exactly the ideal preparation for a wine. The cork had been hammered back in so hard I had to use a corkscrew to uncork it so maybe it wasn't too oxidised...

I am glad I did take it though because it turned out to be a really excellent wine. It's got that rich, smooth, vanilla and red fruit taste you expect from a decent Crianza Rioja. I assumed it was going to be £10-£15 a bottle. When I found it on the website at £6.99 I couldn't believe it. An absolute bargain. I think I am going to order a case.

Apparently it is made by winemaker Javier Murua from 2004 grapes that were surplus to requirements at a top Rioja house.

No comments:

Post a Comment