Thursday 11 March 2010

Burgundy, Alsace and winemaking




Right. Lots to catch up on, I've been incredibly busy.

Important news, I found out the name of the amazing Cinsault I had. We actually revisited the restaurant we tasted it and had some more. It's still amazing. Fruity, spicy, really well balanced. Absolutely delicious. VdP De L'Herault, "Le Pradel", Dom La Terrasse D'Elise 2003 100% Cinsault.

It's absolutely amazing. Only found one place to buy it online in the UK. Just over £150 for a case of 6, £25 a bottle and I'm seriously tempted...

On the wine course front we've covered winemaking and Burgundy and Alsace. I'd tried my first Alsace Gewurtz a few weeks ago and really liked it and that's been reinforced. I found the Alsace Reislings just a bit too dry. The Burgundy's were great. We had two fantastic classic examples of Burgundies, a Beaujolais and a sneaky Chilean Pinot Noir and I was able to pick all those out (without knowing that's what we were getting) which was reassuring. A classic Burgundy and a Beaujolais have such distinctive smells, I'd hope to always be able to pick them. Along with Kiwi Sauvignon which are all likely things to have on the tasting exam.

At home we're endeavouring to have one day a week where we both bring mystery wines to try and practice for the exam. Last week we brilliantly both got Pouilly Fumés. Which was quite funny. I got a brilliant one from Waitrose, which was 25% off. Le Pont du Milieu Pouilly Fume, 2008 A really cracking wine. Fruity, balanced, slightly mineral, delicious. Ann's was also pretty good but suffered from being tasted just after a slightly better one. Hers was the Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Pouilly Fumé. That was a 2007 and just slightly less complex, and less fruity. So the evening turned into quite an interesting comparison of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment